With summer just around the corner, now is a great time to get your home in top shape for the months ahead. Whatever your weather, caring for your home now will help to ensure a worry-free, comfortable summer. Follow a few of these tips each week and enjoy the rest of the season knowing that your home is in good shape.
- Vacuum or brush off refrigerator coils to help maintain energy efficiency. Depending on your model, the coils will be located either on the bottom or on the back of the appliance.
- Empty dehumidifier pans and clean the hoses according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If possible, take area rugs outside and hang them over a deck or porch rail to air out.
- Adjust ceiling fans for proper balance and change the rotation to the summer setting. While you’re at it, give the unit a good dusting to avoid blowing dust around the room.
- Switch out heavy bedding for lightweight summer fabrics. Have the winter bedding cleaned before storing it away for the season.
- Close the chimney flue to prevent insects from entering and to help keep cool air in during the months ahead.
- Repot houseplants to give their roots a fresh start for the summer.
- Check door and cabinet hinges and lubricate any that stick or squeak.
- Open windows even on cooler days to get fresh air flowing throughout the home.
- Inspect siding for cracks or other damage and make any needed repairs.
- If paint is peeling, cracking, or chipped, repair and repaint now to limit damage to the underlying materials.
- Remove window screens and clean them with a soft brush and soapy water. Rinse well and allow them to dry in the sun. Repair any holes or tears, or replace the screen material before reinstalling. It’s a fairly easy DIY job to replace the screening, or you can check to see if your local hardware store offers this service.
- Have the air conditioning unit serviced to ensure good operation. Promote good air intake by keeping shrubs and plants around the unit trimmed.
- Clear dirt and debris from gutters and eaves.
- Seal cracks in the driveway and keep walkways clear of debris and overgrown plants.
- Test irrigation and sprinkler systems and replace any broken sprinkler heads or emitters. Check for proper water coverage and adjust if necessary.
- Power wash decks and patios and seal surfaces as appropriate