What’s smart, green and tiny? No, it’s not a gecko.Rather, these are just a few of the terms used to describe what will be hot (or not) in home design this year. Whether you’re prepping your home to sell, remodeling, or shopping for a new home that DOESN’T need a complete renovation, there’s a lot to know about what’s desirable and what’s retire-able.Keep your head from spinning by checking out this roundup of hot home design features for 2018. Analyses from top designers, builders and architects have been considered and are represented here.1. Doors, Floors and Fixtures Hardwood floors Hardwood floors are still – and probably always will be – at the top of the list for home buyers and remodelers, with a few caveats for 2018:
- Bigger is better. Large-plank wood or wood-look floors make a space look large and are easier to clean.
- Opt for lighter woods, but not bamboo, as it doesn’t stand up to wear and tear.
- Use restraint with reclaimed wood. A little goes a long way.
- Bold colors including red, hunter green and all shades of blue are in demand. And don’t be surprised if you’re seeing purple, as Ultra Violet is Pantone’s 2018 color of the year.
- High-gloss lacquers: Put it on walls or, if that’s too scary, on doors, shutters and furniture.
- Black finishes, fixtures and furnishings
- Separate dining rooms
- Flexible space that can serve as an office, party room, kids’ playroom or craft room